Copy of Education Records*
Copies of education records to which students have access will be available at the student's request, in writing. The copies will be ready for the student within a reasonable period of time following the submission of the written request. Copies of transcripts may be obtained in the Transcript Office, whose information page is available on this web site.
Student Directory Information*
It is the policy of Texas Woman's University to obtain the written consent of a student before disclosing personally identifiable information from that student's education records other than directory information and information requested for official use. Those who may obtain other than directory information may be:
- TWU school officials with a legitimate educational interest
- Officials of other schools where the student seeks or intends to enroll
- Certain representatives of the federal government
- State educational authorities
- Governmental representatives in connection with financial aid for which a student has applied
- Organizations conducting studies for or on behalf of educational institutions or agencies for testing purposes, student aid programs, and instructional improvement
- Accrediting organizations
- Those responsible for ensuring compliance with a judicial order
- Appropriate parties in a health and/or safety emergency
- Parents of a dependent student as defined in Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954
*Education records are those records, files, documents, and other materials which:
- Contain information directly related to a student and
- Are maintained by an educational agency or institution.
*Directory information means information contained in the education record of a student that would generally not be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. The following types of student information at TWU are considered "directory" for the purposes of this policy:
- Local, permanent, and TWU e-mail address
- Telephone listing
- Month, day, and place of birth
- Major field of study
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Weight and height of members of athletic teams
- Dates of attendance
- Enrollment status (e.g., undergraduate or graduate; full-time or part-time)
- Degrees, awards, and honors received (including selection criteria)
- Expected graduation date
- Dissertation and thesis titles
- Most previous school attended
To prohibit directory information from being disclosed the student must notify the Registrar's Office using the Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information form at the address indicated below by 5pm of the Census Date for the semseter. Check the Academic Calendar for Census Dates.
Texas Woman's University
P.O. Box 425559
Denton, TX 76204-5559
Limitations on Right to Review Education Records
Educational records to which students may have access do not include the following:
- Financial records and statements of their parents or any information contained therein, without parents' authorization.
- Records which are "created or maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or other recognized professional or paraprofessional" acting in a professional capacity which are created or used only in connection with the provision of treatment for the student and which are held in strict confidence, provided they may be personally reviewed by a physician or other appropriate professional of the student's choice.
- Working records which are the sole possessions of instructional, supervisory, administrative, and educational personnel provided they are "not accessible or revealed to any other person except a substitute."
- Confidential letters and/or statements written prior to January 1, 1975, and those written with a documented understanding of confidentiality.
Request to Amend Education Records
A student who believes that information contained in education records is inaccurate or misleading may request that the record(s) be amended. The student should first meet with the administrative or faculty official responsible for the record.
If such a meeting is not sufficient to resolve the difference, the matter should be reviewed by the appropriate dean. If the differences remain unresolved, the student should submit a written request for a hearing to the appropriate Vice President. The student will be informed well in advance of the date, place, and time of the hearing. Opportunity will be afforded the student to present evidence related to the issue in question. The student may be represented by individuals of her/his choice. A decision in writing will be provided to the student within a reasonable period of time after the conclusion of the hearing.
A request to amend a grade, or a hearing to contest the assignment of a grade, is not allowed under this procedure. However, one may contest whether or not the grade was recorded accurately. The procedure indicated above does not apply to placement credentials.
Students may inspect and review their education records upon request and upon completion of a form supplied by the component maintaining the records in question. Access is given to a student within a reasonable period of time, but in no case more than 45 days after the request has been made. An appropriate administrative official or member of the faculty will obtain the record for the student and will be present while the student reviews the record.
Access to these records is restricted to the student, unless the student submits a completed and signed FERPA Authorization to Release Education Records form to the Registrar's Office specifying to whom information may be released, and specifically what records may be released.
Education records of the University are contained in the offices of the:
- University Registrar
- Dean of the Graduate School
- Director of Career and Employment Services
- Director of Information Technology Services
- Director of Student Financial Aid
- Director of University Health Services
- Vice President for Student Life
Definitions and Training
TWU FERPA Policy, Procedures, and Definitions
Training Powerpoint for Faculty & Staff
page updated 12/4/2013 8:49 AM