2016 Summer Institute - Sound Systems: Understanding How Words Work in Reading and Writing
Come to a two-day summer institute designed for K-3 classroom teachers, interventionists, ELL teachers, and Reading Recovery/DLL teachers and leaders. Learn how to analyze phonological and orthographic knowledge in reading and writing. Learn to embed systematic phonics instruction in your classroom literacy block.
June 13 & 14, 2016
TWU's Kerley receives Advocate for Excellence in Literacy Award
What is Reading Recovery®?
- Reading Recovery is a short-term Early Literacy Intervention for first graders identified as having difficulty learning to read and write.
- Children receive intensive, individualized instruction from a specially trained Reading Recovery teacher.
- Reading Recovery students receive a 30-minute lesson each school day for 12 to 20 weeks.
- As soon as students can read within the average range of their class and continue independent literacy learning in the regular classroom, their lessons are discontinued, and new students begin individual instruction.
What is Descubriendo la Lectura?
- Descubriendo la Lectura (DLL) is the reconstruction of Reading Recovery® for first graders who are receiving their initial literacy instruction in Spanish.
- Spanish-speaking students in bilingual classrooms who struggle to learn to read and write receive intensive, individualized instruction in Spanish from certified bilingual teachers who are specially trained to work with early literacy in Spanish.
- DLL students receive a 30-minute daily lessons for 12 to 20 weeks.
- Lessons are discontinued as soon as students can read within the average range of their class and continue independent literacy learning in the regular classroom.