What is Reading Recovery®?
- Reading Recovery is a short-term Early Literacy Intervention for first graders identified as having difficulty learning to read and write.
- Children receive intensive, individualized instruction from a specially trained Reading Recovery teacher.
- Reading Recovery students receive a 30-minute lesson each school day for 12 to 20 weeks.
- As soon as students can read within the average range of their class and continue independent literacy learning in the regular classroom, their lessons are discontinued, and new students begin individual instruction.
What is Descubriendo la Lectura?
- Descubriendo la Lectura (DLL) is the reconstruction of Reading Recovery® for first graders who are receiving their initial literacy instruction in Spanish.
- Spanish-speaking students in bilingual classrooms who struggle to learn to read and write receive intensive, individualized instruction in Spanish from certified bilingual teachers who are specially trained to work with early literacy in Spanish.
- DLL students receive a 30-minute daily lessons for 12 to 20 weeks.
- Lessons are discontinued as soon as students can read within the average range of their class and continue independent literacy learning in the regular classroom.