skip to content

Texas State Board of Examiner's of Psychologists

Graduates of the Doctoral Counseling Psychology Program are eligible to seek licensure as a Psychologist from the Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists. Licensure as a psychologist requires one additional year of post-doctoral supervision by a licensed psychologist, passage of the National Psychology Exam (EPPP), and passage of the jurisprudence (state law) take-home exam. Licensure as a psychologist allows for private practice and opens up other job opportunities in agencies (e.g., counseling centers, mental health agencies, etc.).  

Graduates of the Master's in Counseling Psychology Program are eligible to apply for licensure as a Licensed Psychological Associate (LPA) from the TSBEP. LPAs are often employed by licensed psychologists and work under their supervision. Applicants for the LPA must also take the EPPP, but pass at a lower level then required for licensure as a psychologist; and pass the state jurisprudence exam.

Students wishing to practice in states other than Texas should seek information from the licensing boards of those respective states. The Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards (ASPPB) maintains links to all states' psychology board websites. You can access the ASPPB website at

Health Care Service Provider

A Health Service Provider in Psychology is a licensed/certified psychologist, at the independent practice level in  his/her state, province, or country, who is trained and experienced in the delivery of preventive, consultative, assessment, and therapeutic services (rev. 2007). To become listed in the National Register of Health Care Service Providers in Psychology, doctoral students must meet eligibility requirements included the completion of a 2,000 hour pre-doctoral internship.

Board Certification in Psychology

The American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP) awards a Diplomate in Counseling Psychology and a Diplomate in Couple/Family Psychology which is the highest form of board certification in the school psychology profession. Candidates for the Diplomate must have a Ph.D. in Psychology and must be a licensed psychologist. Generally applicants for the ABPP Diplomate credential have worked in the field for a few years after licensure as a psychologist before they apply for the credential.

Licensed Professional Counselors

Graduates of the Master's or Doctoral Counseling Psychology Programs are eligible to apply for licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) from the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors.

page last updated 5/9/2016 12:53 PM