skip to content

Overview

Information is provided to assist departments in processing information for adding new employees to payroll.

Procedures

With the exception of Student Employees (see topic below), procedures for establishing new employees on the Payroll System are as follows:

  1. All new employees must report to Human Resources on the first day of employment to complete required forms. At this time, basic information necessary to set up the employee for payroll is entered on the University's main frame computer system.
  2. The employing department will process a Personnel Transaction Form (PTF) for employees within the following categories:
    • Regular employees (full-time or part-time)
    • Faculty (full-time or part-time)
    • Adjunct faculty
    • Graduate assistants
    • Temporary (hourly)

For additional information see the following link: 

Student Employees

Procedures for establishing new student employees on the Payroll System are as follows:

  1. The student must report to the Student Employment Office in Jones Hall and ask for a student permit and employment forms.
  2. The student will complete the biographical information on the form and take it to the employing department.
  3. The department completes the departmental section of the form.
  4. The student returns the completed form to the Student Employment Office.

Financial Obligations of the Hiring Department

A department’s financial obligation depends upon the student “type” as follows:  

  • Regular student employee: In this instance, the department pays 100% of the student's wages, and the student only needs one student permit for that department for the entire fiscal year.
  • Work Study student employee: The Financial Aid Office determines if a student is eligible for this program. When a department hires a work study student, 25% is deducted from departmental wages. The federal work student program pays the remaining 75%. If the work study student works during break time (when classes are not in session), the department must submit a break permit through Student Employment to authorize that student to be paid for the break time. A separate student permit must be processed for a work study student to be paid for work during the summer.  

Student Employment and FICA Taxes

Students who are working in a student position for the University and are enrolled at least half time will not pay FICA tax.  A report is run each semester after the 12th class day.  Those students who are not enrolled for at least 6 hours at that time will pay FICA tax the remainder of the semester, regardless if they enroll for more hours after that 12th day.  However, students in their last semester and enrolled for the number of hours needed to complete their study, even if they are enrolled for less than half the number of hours required of full-time students, are eligible for the FICA exemption. number of hours required of full-time students, are eligible for the FICA exemption.

Student Employment During Summer Months

Students who are not enrolled during the Summer, but who are going to work, must be processed through Human Resources as a temporary employee on a PTF.  

page last updated 3/27/2014 4:32 PM