Download the APA Graduate Program Application Procedure for details of the application/admission policy.
Send inquiries related to the Ph.D. to Dr. Ronald Davis.
General Program Requirements and Information
1. Required master's degree or major in Adapted Physical Education, Coaching, Special Education. or Exercise Physiology,
2. It is highly recommended that all students entering this specialization have a minimum of 2 years teaching experience.
3. A TOEFL score of 90.
4. Doctoral candidates will present a minimum of two research projects and have published at least one manuscript before graduation. One manuscript based on the st udents' dissertation must be submitted for publication before graduation. These projects will be evaluated with the departmental Adapted Physical Activity faculty using the Department rubric.
5. Information throughout this program will be matched with the general departmental, Adapted Physical Activity emphasis, and suggested national APA competencies (Jansma & Surburg, 1995).
6. Students will take the Statistics/Research comprehensive exam after completion of 12 hours of their required statistical research tools within their program (i.e., 5033, 6043, 6143). The students will sit for their statistical/research design portion of their class comprehensive exams no later than the completion of the first 60 hours. Students must pass the statistical/research design portion of the comprehensive exam before completion of additional components of the exam.
Program with Specializations
Basic KINS Requirements (22 hrs)
- KINS 5033 Applied Statistical Principles or equivalent
- KINS 6043 Statistical Inference or equivalent
- KINS 6143 Research Design in Kinesiology
- KINS 6811 Seminar in Kinesiology (taken 3 times for a total of 3 credit hours: Teaching, Research, and Assistant Professorship)
- KINS 6911 Independent Study – minimum of 4 hours taken during dissertation
- KINS 6983 & 6993 Dissertation I & II
Additional Suggested Research Tools (9 hrs)
- SOCI 6203 Seminar on Research Methods
- FS 6793 Advanced Qualitative Research Methods in Family Science
- PSY 6863 Qualitative Research Methods & Program Evaluation
Adapted Physical Education/Activity Specialization Core (15 hrs)
- KINS 5603 Growth and Perceptual Motor Development
- KINS 5843 Adapted Physical Education and the APENS Theory to Practice
- KINS 5853 Assessment in Adapted Physical Education
- KINS 5863 Pedagogy in Adapted Physical Education
- KINS 5793 Enhancing Behavior and Performance in Physical Education
Required Pedagogy Specialization Core (9 hrs)
- KINS 6811 Independent Study, Advanced Research I, II, III (Doctoral Seminar) (3 x 1 credit)
- KINS 5783 Learning and Teaching Styles in Physical Education and Sport (Fall only)
- KINS 6911 College/University Pedagogy* (3 x 1 credit)
Required Disability Sport/Fitness Specialization (9+ hrs)
- KINS 5883 Disability and Sport
- KINS 5903 Exercise Assessment and Program Development for Individuals with Disabilities
KINS 6133 Professional Internship (must be taken multiple times)
Minor/Related Area (18 hrs)
Select minor/related area based on professional interest and/or proposed dissertation topic with the approval of advisory committee. At least 12 hours must be taken outside our department. It is highly recommended that two of the courses within the minor/related area are at the 6000 level and require a presentation and a scholarly project.
page last updated 8/16/2016 11:11 AM