On Campus Employment
- International Students are allowed to work on-campus 20 hours per week while enrolled in classes.
- Employment and assistanships are not guaranteed and should not be considered as primary means of support.
- To find a job on campus visit Career Services and/or contact a TWU department.
- For TWU Graduate, Graduate Research, or Graduate Teaching Assistantships visit http://www.twu.edu/gradschool/graduate-assistants.asp.
- Apply for a U.S. Social Security Card (if you do not currently have a card). International Students must have a Social Security Card to be employed on campus. http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5fs.pdf
- Print the Social Security Checklist for step by step instructions to be employed on-campus.
- Print the Employer's Letter Sample Form and take to the hiring department to complete.
- When applying for a Social Security Card, print and complete the Letter Request Form and bring to the International Education Office to request an Enrollment Verification letter.
- Print and complete the Campus Employment Application for F1 Students and bring to the International Education office for verification.
- Off-Campus Employment must be authorized PRIOR to beginning off-campus employment. Be sure to allow sufficient time for processing.
- Curricular Practical Training – submit to OIE; allow at least 2 weeks for processing.
- Optional Practical Training I-20 Request Application and Document Checklist – OPT I-20 appplication submit to the Office of International Education; we will contact you when the OPT Request I-20 is completed. While you are waiting for the I-20 please print off the OPT Reqeust for Employment Authorization (I-765), complete the I-765 and gather documents needed to submit to USCIS; bring to OIE to help with mailing; allow 3 months for processing.
- Economic Hardship – allow 4 months for processing. Please speak to International Advisor.
page last updated 6/2/2015 1:44 PM