- Completed application submitted to the graduate school.
- Evidence of an earned graduate degree with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 and all transcripts for undergraduate and graduate work.
- Resume to the HCA department.
- Three letters of reference to the HCA department and
- Statement of your purpose and goals for seeking the M.H.A. degree.
*Applicants holding a prior masters degree from an accredited U.S. College or University are not required to take the GRE or GMAT to be considered for admission.
Applicants may also be eligible for waiver of certain foundation and transfer credit for core courses based on individual analysis of their completed graduate courses.
Waiver of Levelling or foundation Course:
Based on prior completion of an equivalent course at the graduate or undergraduate level within the last 5 years of submitting an HCA application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide prior course work by submission of course title, course description and or course syllabus in order for the waiver to be granted. Work experience may not be substituted for course completion.
Credit by Transfer:
Transfer credit applies only to core HCA courses. As indicated in the TWU Graduate School Policy, the HCA program will consider up to 12 hours for transfer credit. Any hours selected for transfer are still governed by the time limit for master’s work; that is, at the time when the new HCA master’s degree is completed, the transferred credits must not be more than six years old. Certain important requirements:
- Only graduate courses in which the grade of B or better has been earned from an accredited school may be considered for transfer credit.
- No credit toward a graduate degree may be obtained by correspondence or by extension work from another institution.
- All transfer credits must have been earned in residence at a university of recognized excellence and approved at TWU by the appropriate Dean or chair and by the Dean of the Graduate School.
Transfer of Credit Hours from a completed TWU Master’s degree to a New TWU Master’s Degree follows the same criteria as other transfers. In addition :
- There is no automatic transfer of graduate credit from a previous master’s degree earned at TWU to a new master’s degree at TWU.
- The core HCA courses require completion of a minimum of approximately 17 core courses and 3 electives comprising 52-55 semester hours of course work. Therefore the maximum number of transfer credits is 18 semester credit hours.
Typically the applicant who holds a prior MBA degree will have completed some courses which may be similar to the core requirements in HCA. As a result a detailed review of each transcript is required. In addition, if the course title is not sufficiently descriptive then course descriptions and or syllabi should be provided by the applicant to make a final assessment. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide adequate documentation for waiver of any HCA course.
Applicants with other advanced degrees:
Advanced degree (master’s/ doctoral) applicants form disciplines such as Public Health, Medicine, Law, Nursing, Nutrition, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Social Work and others may also be eligible for waiver of certain courses. However, each waiver decision is made on a case by case basis after examination of the transcript and course descriptions or syllabi as appropriate. As discussed above, it is the applicant’s responsibility to provide adequate documentation for waiver of any HCA course.
page updated 3/4/2014 3:11 PM