How to Find Your Online Course in Blackboard
- To access your online courses, log in to Blackboard using your Pioneer Portal username and password.
- Find your courses in either the My Courses section or the Courses tab.
- Click the course link to access your course.
Courses may not be available until the first day of class. Contact your professor if the course isn't available by then.
If you have questions about Blackboard or need technology assistance, please email the Technology Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org, call 940.898.3971 or visit the Technology Service Desk website for help.
- Blackboard is the learning management system used by TWU to deliver fully online and hybrid courses and online course components for face-to-face classes.
- Blackboard is Internet based so if you have access to the Internet, you have access to your course.
- Anyone with a TWU username and password can access Blackboard. However, you will only have access to Blackboard content that is directly related to courses and organizations in which you are enrolled.
- Blackboard gives students access to course content such as:
- audio and video material
- Blackboard also has communication tools such as:
- discussion board
- synchronous (live) chat tools
- Blackboard Chat
- Blackboard Collaborate - see below for more information.
- Blackboard is not the official communication system of TWU. Pioneer Portal is. Please see below for more information about Pioneer Portal.
How Blackboard is Used in Online Courses
Instructors use Blackboard to share the course syllabus, as well as other course related documents such as required readings, assignment instructions and grading rubrics. Instructors often use Blackboard to send emails to students and post important class-related announcements.
Blackboard Sample Course
Want to see what a Blackboard online course looks like? Visit the Blackboard Sample Course and use the word "online" for both the Username and Password. Keep in mind that every course looks a little different based on the preferences of the professor.
Blackboard Help Resources
There are resources available with step-by-step instructions on how to use the tools and features within Blackboard. To access these resources, go to Blackboard Student Help or Blackboard Student Videos. If you think Blackboard is not functioning properly, contact the TWU Technology Service Desk or your instructor.
Blackboard Video Demos
Below is a link to video demos of Blackboard procedures and tools. These will help you navigate and communicate within Blackboard. Familiarize yourself with these procedures and tools so that you can interact to the fullest! View the demonstration videos
Privacy in Blackboard
Access to certain pages in Blackboard is recorded on an individual basis, and course instructors can view these individual access statistics. Students should also be familiar with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a law relating to the accessibility of student information.
Pioneer Portal is the official communication system of the University. You must use Pioneer Portal to:
- Register for your courses
- See your official schedule
- See your final grades
- Send and receive university emails (To forward your Portal email to a personal account, log-in to Pioneer Portal and select "Forwarding" under the Important Links/Email heading.)
Blackboard Collaborate is a web-conferencing tool your instructors may use to have real-time interactions with you and your classmates. This means that they may schedule a specific time that you and your classmates have to log into your Blackboard course and interact with them. Blackboard Collaborate is similar to Wimba Classroom, which you may have used in previous semesters. The main difference between Collaborate and Wimba is how they look; the major functions are similar. More about “Blackboard Collaborate For Students”...
page last updated 2/6/2015 9:15 AM