TWU Former Students Association
Organized in 1905 - a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Corporation
Please read a letter from the newly elected President, regarding the changes to the organization that were voted upon at the 2016 Annual Business meeting held during Homecoming Weekend.
Dear Fellow Alumni,
I am honored and humbled to be elected President of the TWU Former Students Association. I look forward to working with continuing members of the FSA Board - Judy Elias, vice president; Kimberly Michelle Gay, member at large, and Kathleen Riordan, secretary; as well as, newly installed members, Sarah Nelson Crawford, member at large; April Phillips, member at large and Sherrie Taylor, treasurer. I am also most appreciative for the continued guidance and leadership of Dr. Patricia Edwards, FSA immediate past president.
To secure sustainable future growth of our alumni while preserving the legacy of our founders, the original Alumnae Association established in 1905, the TWU FSA Board voted for the TWU FSA to become the alumni association for TWU; therefore, opening membership to all 86,000 graduates and alumni of Texas Woman’s University.
The key points of this partnership are:
- All graduates are considered members of our Association.
- Donations are welcome and accepted, and no dues are required.
- Chapters and other alumni groups will continue to exist and be supported by TWU FSA
- Current Board members will provide leadership for the new structure.
- FSA may retain a physical presence on the campus, i.e., continuation of the current location on University Drive or other space as yet undecided.
- TWU will provide staff support and resources to the Association through the TWU Office of Alumni Relations and other entities.
- The TWU Foundation will accept and issue receipts for all donations made to the Association and serve as the fiscal agent to all funds including investments.
- The Foundation will fulfill reporting requirements to the IRS, donors, and the Association.
- FSA will retain responsibility for the administration and distribution of donations directed to the Association.
- All donor directives will be honored.
- To ensure the Association assets are protected, we now have a Memorandum of Understanding with the TWU Foundation, and the Memorandum is dated April 12, 2016.
- FSA will retain one seat on the Foundation Board of Directors as a full voting member.
As a result of the changes listed above, the FSA Board of Directors drafted a Resolution with regard to a change in name from the TWU FSA to the TWU Alumni Association. At the Annual Business Meeting on April 16, 2016, this resolution was presented and seconded; the vote was unanimous in favor of the name change. Appropriate paper work will be filed with the State of Texas to request a formal name change. Until approval is received, business will continue to be conducted under our current name, the TWU Former Students Association. A revision of the by-laws is scheduled summer 2016; and, a separate resolution documenting the relationship between TWU and FSA will be presented to the TWU Board of Regents at their 2016 fall meeting.
As we begin a new phase in our rich history, we renew our commitment to the university and look ahead to meeting the needs of our TWU students and alumni. I am often described as a “Cheerleader for TWU” of which I am most proud. Please join me as we reach out to TWU alumni everywhere, domestic and abroad, to develop a relationship with TWU in which alumni engagement is encouraged and alumni are considered a valued and integral part of the university.
“To the Texas Woman’s University; forever to be true,
For everything you stand for, Maroon & White to you.
The friends we make while learning here;
Will last our whole lives through,
To the students and our School, we pledge ourselves anew.”
CHEERS to TWU Alumni and the TWU Spirit,
Juanita Dueñez-Lazo ’77 & ‘88
Support our mission - by making a donation. Any donation level help support our activities and raise funds for scholarships, we can't do it without you! If you're a new graduate, sign up for your membership.
- Class Agents - Send your class agent a little update on what you're doing now or find a Facebook group to re-connect you with classmates.
- Geographic and Academic Chapters - Find alums that live in your neighborhood or share your interests, get-togethers and informative meetings
- Update Your Contact Information - FSA values its alumni and wants to bring you the good news about FSA. Submit changes in your contact information so that we may continue to send you the news of FSA. Send us your updates in the following ways: