Dr. Sarah Woods • firstname.lastname@example.org • 940-898-2682
Major courses in this program consist of face-to-face and online formats. Face-to-face courses are only offered on the TWU Denton campus.
Texas Woman’s University was the first public university in Texas to offer MS and PhD degrees for marriage and family therapists. Our experienced faculty members foster the understanding and clinical practice of systemic family therapy theories.
The M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Family Therapy contain the courses required by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Marriage & Family Therapists to take the national licensing examination after completion of the degree. Our graduates work in many settings, including:
- private practice
- social service agencies
- physicians’ offices and hospitals
- veterans’ programs
- faith communities
- corporate employee assistance programs
View a detailed list of career opportunities in Family Therapy.
Family Therapy M.S. Program Mission Statement:
The mission of the MS in Family Therapy program is to prepare family therapists who will take an active role in their community to enhance quality of life for individuals and families in a global society. Based on a systems approach to interactions between individuals, families, and larger systems, students are empowered to conduct effective family therapy and are introduced to the role, process, and implications of research.
Family Therapy Ph.D. Program Mission Statement:
The mission of the Doctor of Philosophy in Family Therapy program is to prepare systemic family therapists to contribute to family therapy scholarship and theory as advanced clinicians, researchers, supervisors, and educators. We are committed to training students from diverse backgrounds in a multiculturally-informed and multi-systemic perspective.
Dates apply to master's and doctoral applicants.
Deadline to apply for Fall admission is February 15th.
Interview day is March 11, 2016 for Fall 2016 admission.
Deadline to apply for Spring admission is September 15th.
Interview day is October 9, 2015 for Spring 2016 admission.
- TWU Family Therapy Master's Handbook [PDF - revised 4/29/16]
(applies beginning Spring 2015)
- M.S., Family Therapy [PDF]
(minimum GPA of 3.25 for most current 60 hours of work)
- M.S. Family Therapy Educational Outcomes [PDF - revised 09/15]
- Racial Composition and Student Achievement for the MS Program [PDF - revised 01/16]
- TWU Family Therapy Doctoral Handbook [PDF - revised 4/18/16]
(applies beginning Spring 2016)
- Ph.D., Family Therapy [PDF]
(minimum GPA 3.50 for completed master’s and/or post-master’s work)
- Facts about the Family Therapy Ph.D. degree [PDF]
Program Information & Links
- FTh Restricted Enrollment Clinical Courses [PDF - revised 11/7/14]
- Application for 1st Semester FTh Internship [PDF - revised 1/28/15]
- Application for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th Semester FTh Internship [PDF - revised 1/28/15]
- FS-5363 Prepracticum Application [PDF - revised 1/28/15]
- FS 5373 Group Counseling Procedures Application [PDF - revised 11/2015]
- FS 6253 Supervision in Family Therapy Application [PDF - revised 3/12/15]
Other Important Links
- Guidelines for creating a Letter of Intent [PDF - revised 4/13/16]
- Application for Family Therapy M.S. Final Exam [PDF - revised 2/25/16]
- Procedures for Family Therapy M.S. Final Exam [PDF - revised 11/7/14]
- Off-Campus Internship Information Form [PDF - revised 11/7/14]
- Off-Campus Internship Agreement Form [PDF - revised 11/7/14]
- Counseling and Family Therapy Clinic
- MS Writing Options (pre FA 2011 students) [PDF - revised 3/16/11]
- Commonly Requested Family Sciences Forms
- TWU Graduate School
- American Association for Marriage & Family Therapy
- Texas Association for Marriage & Family Therapy
- TWU Student Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Texas State Board of Examiners of Marriage & Family Therapists
- Off-Site Internship Evaluation [PDF - revised Spring 2015]
- Family Therapy Competency Document - Semesters 1 and 2 [PDF - revised Spring 2015]
- Family Therapy Competency Document - Semesters 3 and 4 [PDF - revised Spring 2015]
Follow us on Facebook to stay informed!
page last updated 5/3/2016 2:57 PM