skip to content

We are here to help if you are concerned about yourself or someone else.

What is a crisis?

The definition of a crisis may vary from person to person based on their ability to cope, current resources, and past life experiences. Always consult with a mental health professional if you are concerned about yourself or someone else.

Some general guidelines defining a crisis include:

  • An inability to keep self physically safe
  • Threatening to hurt self or others
  • Being threatened or physically hurt by someone else
  • Seeing or hearing things that are not there
  • Experiencing uncontrollable panic and unable to calm down
  • Recent sexual or physical assault
  • Currently living without food, clothing, and shelter
  • Having withdrawal symptoms from drugs or alcohol (Call 911 in this instance for medical assistance.)

What can I expect if I initiate crisis intervention services?

  • A therapist will:
    • Ask you questions to assess your safety and your ability to cope
    • Help you calm down
    • Assist you in making a plan to address your concerns
  • A therapist may:
    • Contact police and medical professionals to assist you or others. This may take place without your consent, if warranted by the crisis situation.
    • Refer you to the Counseling Center or another agency for therapeutic services.

What is the cost for services?

  • Fees for services are included in enrolled students’ paid fees. No additional charges are incurred.

How do I get help?

During regular business hours…

  • Immediate assistance is available on a walk-in basis for any student experiencing a crisis situation. Please go to your nearest Counseling Center location.
    • Denton: West Jones Hall, 940-898-3801
    • Dallas: Institute of Health Sciences, Suite 8300, 214-689-6655
    • Houston: Institute of Health Sciences, Suite 2250, 713-794-2059
  • In a medical emergency, please call 911 first.

After regular business hours…

  • All campuses should call the TWU Denton Campus Department of Public Safety and ask for the on-call therapist.
    • Denton: 940-898-2911
    • Dallas: call Denton campus DPS at 940-898-2911
    • Houston: call Denton campus DPS at 940-898-2911
  • In a medical emergency, please call 911 first.

In a medical emergency…

  • Call 911 or go to your closest emergency room.

If you are uncomfortable contacting the TWUCC or 911, we sincerely hope you will still seek help somewhere. Additional resources include:



        •TWUCC Online Resources




          •Campus Health and Safety


          •National Suicide Prevention Lifeline








Texas Telephone Crisis Lines:

        •Adapt Community Solutions Mental Health Crisis               

                Line (Dallas, Collin, Rockwall, Kaufman, Hunt, Navarro, &  
                Ellis Counties)



        •Dallas Suicide and Crisis Center

          •Dallas NorthSTAR Mobile Crisis Line 214-220-7722 
          •Dallas Contact Suicide and Crisis Line 972-233-2233 
          •Denton County Crisis Line 800-762-0157 
          •Ft. Worth/Tarrant County Crisis Line 817-335-3022 
          •Houston/Harris County Crisis Line 713-970-4770; 866-970-4770
          •Ellis/Johnson/Navarro County Crisis Line 800-451-1659 

        •Grayson/Cooke/Fannin County Crisis Line




National Telephone Crisis Lines:
        •Trevor Project Hotline


        •National Suicide Hotlines USA 800-784-2433

page last updated 2/7/2017 4:31 PM