What is couples therapy?
- A safe, accepting, and non-judgmental place to confidentially explore how to improve or sustain your relationship with your partner.
- Examples of some common couple’s concerns include:
- Improving communication
- Increasing intimacy
- Building trust
- Healing from the effects of previous difficult relationships
Who is eligible for couples therapy?
- Only one partner needs to be a currently enrolled TWU student.
- Students are eligible for up to 12 sessions of individual therapy, couples therapy, or combination when they are actively taking classes.
- Students’ 12 session limit renews each May 31.
- Depending upon the nature of your concerns, you may be referred to another agency for services to ensure you receive the care warranted.
What is the cost for services?
- Fees for services are already included in students’ previously paid fees. No additional charges are incurred.
How do I know if my partner and I could benefit from therapy?
- Are you fighting frequently?
- Is your communication ineffective?
- Are you feeling disconnected, lonely, or sad in the relationship?
- Is trust a problem?
- Are you struggling to meet each others’ needs?
- Are you considering making a deeper commitment to each other?
- Remember, most couples can benefit from improving their communication, trust, and intimacy.
What is confidentiality?
- Confidentiality is one of the mental health field’s top priorities.
- Learn more…
How do we begin?
- Call or stop by the TWUCC location closest to you to schedule a couples intake appointment.
- The TWU student and his/her partner must attend the intake session together.
- Arrive 20 minutes prior to your intake appointment to complete paperwork.
- In the 30 minute intake appointment you, your partner, and a therapist will begin to explore the nature of your concerns and goals.
- The couple and therapist will collaboratively determine which resources available at the Counseling Center, (or another agency), are best suited to address your needs.
- Ongoing couple therapy sessions are scheduled by appointment at the conclusion of the intake appointment.
- During peak service times, you may be placed on a wait list for services. Referrals will also be provided.
page last updated 9/2/2016 9:43 AM