The TETN learning venue is supported in part by a grant from the Texas Education Agency and was created to help ameliorate the shortage of speech-language pathologists in the schools. The TETN venue offers courses through interactive videoconferencing technology and provides clinical experiences through sponsoring school districts and medical facilities across the State of Texas. Participating Education Service Centers (ESCs) assist students by providing classroom sites and coordination of the program. Each student must be sponsored by a Texas school district.
Successful completion of TWU's speech-language pathology master's program prepares students to apply for Texas licensure and ASHA certification. ASHA certification and state licensure (where applicable) credential the graduate to practice in any SLP setting.
TETN is offered only to:
- in-field students (a bachelor’s degree in communication sciences) OR out-of-field students (a bachelor’s degree in another area) who have completed the required prerequisite courses prior to the start of the next TETN cycle, and
- students who have completed coursework in statistics, biological sciences, physical sciences, and psychological/behavioral sciences, and
- students sponsored by a qualifying educational entity in the state of Texas, and
- students who reside in a participating ESC region.
TETN is designed to allow students to work in the schools as a licensed assistant while they complete the requirements for the master's degree. Interested students must attend an information meeting to gather all information pertinent to the application process. Accepted TETN applicants begin their program by attending one week of courses on the TWU campus in Denton, Texas and complete their coursework at participating ESCs through interactive videoconferencing and computer-based coursework. Practicum experiences are completed in the schools during the fall and spring semesters and in hospitals and other settings during the summers. Each student must secure sponsorship from an approved educational entity and maintain it throughout the master’s program.
In order to be considered for admission in TWU SLP Master's Program - TETN Venue, you must:
- Have attended a mandatory information meeting.
- Have an undergraduate degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders or have completed the required prerequisite classes (COMS leveling and required math and science prerequisites).
- Have a GPA of at least 3.0 in the last 60 hours of coursework.
- Have a competitive score on the GRE. There is no minimum score, but admission is very competitive.
- Complete all paperwork by the deadline.
1. Attend a mandatory information meeting to hear a detailed overview of the program and to obtain additional application materials.
2. Apply to TWU after August 2014 (for Summer 2015 entry)
- Include originals of all transcripts and original GRE scores
3. Apply to the department
- Include a letter of intent and copies of all transcripts in addition to the forms provided at the information meeting.
NOTE: The deadline for application to TWU and the department is October 1, 2014.
Mandatory Information Meetings
The Texas Education Agency has authorized TWU to begin planning activities for Cycle 8. Information meetings are scheduled for the following dates and times:
Date Time (Central) Location
November 14, 2013 4:30p-7:30p Education Service Centers
January 16, 2014 4:30p-7:30p Education Service Centers
April 3, 2014 4:30p-7:30p Education Service Centers
July 17, 2014 3:30p-6:30p Webinar
Information meetings are held at most of the 20 Education Service Centers in Texas. Please contact the ESC nearest you to register to attend an information meeting. Contact information is as follows:
Region 1 Education Service Center- Edinburg
Contact: Ruth Solis 956-984-6164
Region 2 Education Service Center- Corpus Christi
Contact: Mari Garza 361-561-8539
Region 3 Education Service Center-Victoria
Contact: Kenda Matson 361-573-0731
Region 4 Education Service Center- Houston
Contact: Gayla Lutz 713-744-8138
Region 5 Education Service Center- Beaumont
Contact: Dana Pitman 409-951-1727
Region 7 Education Service Center- Kilgore
Contact: Diana McBurnett 903-988-6909
Region 8 Education Service Center- Mt. Pleasant
Contact Pam Albritton 903-572-8551
Region 9 Education Service Center- Wichita Falls
Contact: Beverly Brown 940-322-6928
Region 10 Education Service Center- Richardson
Contact: Karyn Kilroy 972-348-1572
Region 11 Education Service Center- Fort Worth
Contact: Bettye Kuehler 817-740-7552
Region 12 Education Service Center- Waco
Contact: Gina Beth Holman 254-297-1155
Region 13 Education Service Center- Austin
Region 15 Education Service Center- San Angelo
Contact: Martha Elder 325-658-6571
Region 16 Education Service Center- Amarillo
Contact: Susan Alexander 806-677-5193
Region 17 Education Service Center- Lubbock
Contact: Anita Neff 806-281-5880
Region 18 Education Service Center- Midland
Contact: Ann Whitley 432-567-3207
Region 19 Education Service Center- El Paso
Contact: Lou Ann Rosario 915-780-5353
Region 20 Education Service Center- San Antonio
Contact: Evelyn Villarreal 210-370-5479
page updated 2/18/2014 4:23 PM