SLP Master's Program - Distance Learning Venue Information
The distance venue of the TWU SLP program is currently running Cycle 8, and Cycle 9 admissions decisions have been made.
We will receive notification from our partners Texas Education Agency and Educational Service Center Region 10 in early 2018 regarding approval for Cycle 10. Information meetings will be held during the first half of 2018 and will be mandatory for everyone interested in applying to Cycle 10. The applications will be due in fall of 2018 and the cohort will begin in summer 2019.
About the Distance Venue
The distance venue is supported in part by a grant from the Texas Education Agency and was created to help ameliorate the shortage of speech-language pathologists in Texas schools. The distance venue offers courses through interactive videoconferencing technology and provides clinical experiences through sponsoring school districts and medical facilities across the state of Texas. Students must commit to working as an SLP in the schools following graduation.
Why Choose the Distance Venue?
- Ability to work as a licensed speech-language pathology assistant while in the program
- Classes held at participating regional Education Service Centers across the state and via live interactive webinar format transmitted to students’ home computers
- Clinical experiences are completed with sponsoring school districts during the school years and at medical facilities during summers
Admission Requirements for Cycle 9
- Must have earned a bachelor’s degree in Communication Sciences or Speech-Language Pathology OR completed Pre-Master’s Leveling Courses at TWU or another university before starting graduate work
- According to ASHA's Standard IV-A, students must have completed the following courses before starting graduate work:
- Biological science
- Physics or chemistry
- Social/behavioral science
TWU follows ASHA's guidelines for meeting this standard. For more information on what classes can count to meet this requirement, please see ASHA's Course Content Guide.
- Minimum of 3.0 GPA required for last 60 hours (average GPA of incoming students is 3.6)
- Official GRE scores. No minimum score required, but scores should be competitive (average GRE score for incoming students is 150 for both verbal and quantitative sections and 3.75 for writing)
How to Apply
- Attend a mandatory information meeting
- Apply to the program using the application packet provided at the mandatory information meeting. Submit the following to the Department:
- Departmental Information Form
- A one-page personal letter of intent describing your professional goals and reasons for attending TWU
- Recommendation forms/letters: 3 recommendations are required from individuals who are knowledgeable about your professional or academic abilities to successfully complete the graduate program.
- Additional forms required for application provided in the mandatory information meeting packet.
- Apply to TWU. You must follow the university admission requirements in addition to the departmental requirements listed above. The ApplyTexas option to apply for the MS SLP Distance Program for summer 2019 admission will be available mid-August 2018.
- Program runs for 7 semesters and includes 6 semesters of clinical experiences (out-of-field students may be required to take an additional semester of clinic).
- Students must successfully pass a comprehensive examination for degree completion and graduation.
- Students must secure and maintain the sponsorship of an approved educational entity throughout the program.
page last updated 3/3/2017 10:52 AM