A professional resume is a necessity today for any individual seeking employment. The resume is one of the initial steps in your job search. It is a valuable investment; therefore, you must be willing to spend time to develop a resume that will be a key selling tool for you.
Choice of format depends on your personal preference, career goals and past experience. The two main formats with many variations include:Chronological
- The most commonly used format, but sometimes not always the most effective for new college graduates and career changers.
- A listing of information presented in reverse order of occurrence and demonstrates a steady employment/education history by dates.
- Works very well for those moving upward in a career area.
- Emphasizes capabilities, skill levels and accomplishments rather than job titles or time spent at various jobs.
- Very effective for those who have limited work experience and want to emphasize skills, those who are changing careers, those re-entering after an absence from the job market or emphasizing a different aspect of your career.
- Do include an employment section after listing your skills and accomplishments.
|Mandatory Categories||Optional Categories|
- Has it been critiqued by a staff member in Career Services?
- Does it fit on one page - maximum two pages?
- Is it correct - no typos or grammatical errors?
- Is it easy to read?
- Is the writing style clear and concise?
- Is important information easy to find?
- Is it reproduced on a good grade of bond paper?
-Preferably resume paper-24lb, watermarked, 100% cotton.
- Is it copied by a high-quality photocopier or laser printer?
The cover letter introduces your resume. If well written, a cover letter will get the employer’s attention and motivate him/her to carefully read your resume.
Always include a cover letter with your resume, unless you are distributing it at a Career Day/Job Fair. Whenever possible, distribute your cover letter and resume in person. This allows you to make personal contacts.
page last updated 2/9/2016 11:35 AM