Need a campus map or driving directions?
- TWU Art Collection
Chancellor and President Ann Stuart revived interest in the University Art Collection in 2001 with plans to support through annual acquisitions the work of TWU students, alumni, faculty and staff. The result is a rich display of artwork that can be toured online or when visiting the TWU campus.
- Little Chapel-in-the-Woods
Built in 1939 and dedicated by Eleanor Roosevelt, the Little Chapel-in-the-Woods was named one of Texas’ most outstanding architectural achievements. University students designed and created the building’s artwork, including stained glass windows, lighting, woodwork and flooring. The windows depict scenes of women ministering to human needs including nursing, teaching, speech, literature, dance and music. It serves as an interdenominational chapel; however, it was constructed primarily for private meditation and prayer.
TWU is allowing the legacy of ceremonies in the Little Chapel-in-the-Woods to live on by establishing a Virtual Bridal book collection. The original bridal book contains no pictures; just thousand of names of couples who were married between the years 1939 and 1979 in the Little Chapel-in-the-Woods. The Bridal Book is on display at the Blagg-Huey Library.
- Texas Women's Hall of Fame
The Governor's Commission for Women and Texas Woman's University are pleased to announce the opening of a permanent exhibit for the Texas Women's Hall of Fame on March 27, 2003. The display features the biographies and photographs of the 114 members. The collection is on display in Hubbard Hall.
- Texas First Ladies Historic
The Texas First Ladies Historic Costume Collection is much more than a chronology of fashion. This exhibit commemorates the struggles and successes of these notable women. Progressing from the 1800s through industrialization of the 1900s, amid the uncertainty of global war and the inspiration of social progress in this nation, the First Ladies of Texas have become icons of grace and compassion. The collection is on display in Hubbard Hall.
- Woman's Collection
Whether capturing the experiences of American women in wartime or chronicling their struggle for civil rights and equality, the Woman's Collection documents milestones in the history of American women through letters, diaries, photographs, manuscripts and books. Established in 1932, the collection represents the best concentration of resources on U.S. women in the Southwest. Rare and current materials are available for research. The collection is available at the Blagg-Huey Library.
- Women Airforce Service Pilots
Between 1942 and 1944, at the height of World War II, more than a thousand women left homes and jobs for the opportunity of a lifetime -- to become the first in history to fly for the U.S. military. The collection is accessible through the Blagg-Huey Library.
- Botanical Gardens
Adjacent to the Little Chapel-in-the-Woods, the gardens were begun in 1930 as both a laboratory for biology students and an instructional and recreational center for all garden lovers. A shaded rock garden with benches and terraces of native woodbine sandstone was added in 1932 and continues to provide a quiet place for rest and relaxation. To the west of the rock garden is the Texas Pond, which not only takes the shape of the Lone Star State, but also features native vegetation.
Gibson Guest House
Gertrude Gibson worked at TWU from 1934 to 1987, holding numerous positions at the university including in the offices of the Registrar, Student Life, Institutional Development and Admissions. Gertrude traveled extensively recruiting students for TWU and promoting TWU throughout Texas. Upon her death, Gertrude's historic home at 1819 Bell Avenue became a treasure for Texas Woman's University. Built in 1929, the home is the first residence designed by O'Neil Ford, the world-renowned architect who also designed TWU's Little-Chapel-in-the-Woods.
- Clarabel Tanner Collection of
Children's Book Art
This is the lifetime collection of Dr. Clarabel Tanner (1918- ), a distinguished TWU alumna who had a long and vital career as a school librarian. This distinguished collection includes 11 original works by winners of the prestigious Caldecott award for the single most distinguished contribution to children's book illustration in a given year, as well as eight pieces by Caldecott award runner up illustrators, and an original 19th century woodcut by the master himself, Randolph Caldecott. The pieces are on display in the children's collection, located on the Garden Level of the Blagg-Huey Library.
- Cookbook Collection
From abundance to diets, from prohibition to war, TWU's collection of cookbooks richly illustrates decades of America's changing relationship with food. It contains 15,000 books, 3500 vendors pamphlets, recipe books dating from 1624, conduct manuals, and menus from around the world. The collection is accessible through the Blagg-Huey Library.
For more information on visiting the TWU campus in Denton to view any of these attractions, please contact Conference Services by calling (940) 898-3644.
Need a campus map or driving directions?