skip to content

General FAQ

How many hours of credit can I transfer from another school to TWU?

Effective fall 2013, up to 90 hours of credit may be transferred from community colleges. Students may transfer unlimited hours from 4-year schools, but they must take 25% of their courses at TWU.

How many hours must I have to graduate?

Student must have a minimum of 120 hours to receive a bachelor’s degree, but degree plans vary in the hours required. Individual departments or degree plans may require additional hours.

Do you accept CLEP and AP scores?

Scores that allow students to receive credit for academic work through the Advanced Placement Program and the College-Level Examination Program are listed in the catalog for the specific academic courses they would replace.  Only scores that meet those minimum levels will allow students to earn credits based on AP or CLEP.

What about correspondence courses?

TWU does not offer correspondence courses, but will accept credit for such courses that have been completed at other accredited schools and appear on official transcripts.

Is there some way other than repeating courses to get rid of old grades that are destroying my GPA?

TWU offers the FRESH START program. This allows students to "discard" ANY course work ten years or older. Students who choose this plan must realize that if they elect to discard ANY course work more than ten years old, they must discard ALL course work from that period.

How will I know what courses will transfer from my previous college?

Students must submit an official transcript to the office of Admissions Processing. The transcript will be evaluated and transferable credits will be assigned. See the transfer guides for the area community college districts.

I’m not sure about a major--what do you suggest?

Students who are uncertain about a career path should visit with the staff in Career Services. The student can participate in testing and counseling that may guide her or him toward a specific degree.

Do I have to be a full-time student to live in a residence hall?

No, but you must be enrolled in at least nine credit hours. Also, all full-time, single undergraduates who have not completed 60 hours and are not living with a legal guardian, must reside in a residence hall, unless otherwise exempt.

If I drop a course, will my financial aid be affected?

MAYBE! A student must maintain full-time status (12 or more credits during a regular semester) in order to avoid financial aid penalties. If a student falls below full-time status, financial aid may be adjusted accordingly. Always check with a financial aid counselor for the latest information.

If I was home-schooled can I still attend TWU?

Students who are home-schooled through high school must successfully complete the GED exam. Then, as with other students, they must take the ACT or SAT. Their admission status will be determined based on the results of these exams.

Can I have my transcripts evaluated by an academic adviser?

The official evaluation of transcripts is part of the admissions process. Transfer guides are available online for area community colleges.  Academic advisors are not equipped to evaluate high school or college transcripts, which should be given to Admissions Processing.  However, advisors may be able to suggest which courses will count toward the major.  You can also find current degree plans online, as well as area community college course equivalencies.

Does TWU offer online classes?

There are some classes and entire programs which may be taken online; additionally, TWU offers hybrid courses which combine traditional face-to-face meetings with online learning. For more information contact the Office of Distance Learning.

What exactly is advising?

Advising is one of the first steps that a student takes toward their academic goals! The advising process is a consultation between the student and his/her advisor to discuss and determine the best educational plan according to the student’s interests, capabilities, and personal circumstances.

Are parents/family members allowed to attend advising sessions?

Yes, parents/family are allowed to attend the sessions. However, students are more inclined to express their needs, interests, or concerns in one-on-one sessions, which ultimately help the advisor in properly assisting the student. Since college is one of the first steps in becoming independent, we encourage students to grow and develop as an individual as well as help prepare them to become responsible citizens.

Do parents and family members have access to the student’s grades/records?

No. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of a student’s school record. Once your child has enrolled in a higher education institution parents and family members are not allowed to gain accessibility to student’s grades and/or records. All rights thereafter are transferred to the student.

When are the deadlines to pay for tuition?

You will need to pay for courses before the pre-determined payment deadlines, generally a week before the semester starts.  An installment payment plan is available for the long semesters. Payment plans must be set up online. For information concerning tuition deadlines, please view the university’s Academic Calendar or access dates on Bursar’s website.

Are there on-campus tutoring services available for students?

Certainly. Texas Woman’s University provides several support services available to students. For more information about these various services please contact Academic Support Services.

My son/daughter is taking 3 hours at a community college and 9 hours at TWU. Is he/she still considered full-time?

No. In order for an undergraduate student to be considered full-time, he/she must be enrolled in at least 12 hours during the semester here at TWU.

TWU Questions and Answers

The following are answers to some frequently asked questions from new and returning students:

Q: How do I begin the admission process to TWU?

A: Submit a completed application form with the $50 applica­tion fee ($75 for international students) to the Admissions Office. You must also submit all required official transcripts and test scores. See the General or Graduate Catalog for spe­cific requirements.

Q: If I’ve been enrolled at another university, must the other school mail you the official transcript?

A: TWU will accept personally delivered or mailed transcripts, if they are in the other school’s sealed envelope.

Q: After I’m admitted, how do I know what courses to take?

A: New freshman and transfer students will meet with an advisor during orientation. New graduate students should contact their faculty advisor. The advisor will recommend which courses to take and how to enroll for those courses.

Q: Can any advisor advise me?

A: If you are a freshman or a transfer with fewer than 21 credits, see your college advisor. Other students should see a faculty advisor in the department of their major.

Q: How do I change my undergraduate major?

A: An approval form must be completed in the department and school or college of your new academic program (under­graduates only) and submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

Q: How do I register for my classes?

A: Once you have been advised, you may register online through the Pioneer Portal at

Q: Once registration starts, can I register whenever I want?

A: The beginning of registration is controlled by student clas­sification for an exclusive registration access period, after which the system is open to everyone. Late registrations are charged an extra fee.

Q: What is a waitlist?

A: Waitlist is a registration feature that allows you to indicate that you want to register for a class that is full. If a seat becomes available, you will be notified through your Portal e-mail.

Q: How do I know if I am waitlisted for a class?

A: You can check your status by logging into the Pioneer Portal and selecting the “Manage Waitlist” link near the bottom of the My Start Page. Any courses you have waitlisted will be displayed. You can register for courses that have become available and/or remove unwanted waitlisted classes there.

Q: How will I know when my waitlisted class is available?

A: Check your Portal e-mail daily! If a seat becomes available in a course you have waitlisted, you will receive an email giving you 24 hours in which to register for that course. If you do not register for the course within that time, the opportunity expires and will be given to the next person on the waitlist. Remember that if you register for a waitlisted course, your account balance will change so be sure to check it and make a payment accordingly.

Q: Why should I pre-register?

A: Because it guarantees your course selections, and you won’t have to pay any earlier than if you waited to register.

Q: How do I pay my bill?

A: Bills will not be mailed. Students must access their bill through the Pioneer Portal. Payment may be made online, by mail, or in person at the Bursar’s office.

Q: What happens if I don’t pay for my registration before the payment deadline?

A: Your schedule will be deleted, unless financial aid has already been approved and accepted. You may attempt to reconstruct it during Late Registration. There is an additional fee for late registration.

Q: What if I have already registered, but decide not to attend?

A: Even if you have not paid, you must go into the Pioneer Portal and drop all your classes to be certain a previous credit balance does not hold your schedule.

Q: Is there any limit to how many classes I can cut?

A: The university expects all students to attend all class sessions.

Q: What’s the difference between dropping and withdrawing?

A: Dropping a class means that there is at least one other course left in your registered schedule. Withdrawing means that you will no longer be attending any class that semester. The refund rates and deadlines are quite different, so you should consult the Directory of Classes and the Bursar’s Office for specific information. Failure to withdraw will lead to receiv­ing the grade of “F” in those classes. Withdrawals are initiated in the Office of Student Life.

Q: How do I add or drop a class?

A: During registration, you have complete access to changing your own schedule. You should confine your alterations to the courses that your advisor recommended to you. After you have paid for your registration, you may add classes during a portion of the first week of the semester through the Pioneer Portal. Fees and differences in tuition must be paid at the Cashier’s Office. Final dates for dropping or withdrawing are listed in the Academic Calendar.

Q: Do I get charged fees for adding or dropping?

A: If you add, drop or withdraw, you will be charged a $10.00 processing fee for each transaction, as well as the actual costs for any increase in tuition and fees, for schedule changes made as of the last day.

Q: Do I need a parking permit to park on the Denton or Dallas campuses?

A: Yes. Parking permits may be purchased at the Denton Public Safety Office 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please check with the Dallas and Houston Public Safety Office for their hours.

Q: Can I access my grades at the end of the semester?

A: Yes. Grades may be accessed through the Pioneer Portal at

Q: What is a Colleague number?

A: This is a TWU number assigned to you for academic identifi­cation. Using this number helps protect your social security number from identity theft. When you access your Portal account, it is the number in RED on the front page.

Q: What is DARS?

A: The Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS) is TWU’s official tool to track a student’s academic progress toward a bachelor’s degree. Students should access their DARS through the Portal each semester to follow their progress to degree completion.

page last updated 10/7/2015 11:01 AM