skip to content

Find your Home State

A | C | D | F | G | H | I | K | L | M | N | O | P | R | S | T | U | V | W | U.S.Territories



Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education 


Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education


  • Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board - ADHE requires the certified institution to make a decision on the student grievance following the institution’s public policy. Inquiries into student grievances must be limited to AHECB certified (under Arkansas Code §6-61-301) courses/degree programs and institutions and to matters related to the criteria for certification. Within 20 days of completing the institution’s grievance procedures, the student may file the complaint in writing with the ICAC Coordinator, Arkansas Department of Higher Education, 114 East Capitol, Little Rock, AR 72201. The grievant must provide a statement from the institution verifying that the institution’s appeal process has been followed. ADHE will notify the institution of the grievance within 15 days of the filing. Within 10 days after ADHE notification, the institution must submit a written response to ADHE. Other action may be taken by ADHE as needed.
  • Arkansas State Board of Private Career Education - If a student believes that their rights have been violated, we always suggest they first seek to resolve the problem by following the schools complaint process. Next, meet with the School Administrator and discuss their concerns with him/her. If the problem is not solved at the school level, the student may then contact us at 501-683-8000.


California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education



Connecticut Office of Higher Education


Delaware Department of Education

District of Columbia

District of Columbia Education Licensure Commission


Florida Department of Education, Commission for Independent Education


Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission


Hawaii Post-secondary Education


Idaho State Board of Education


Illinois Board of Higher Education - Institutional Complaint Hotline: 217-557-7359. The Board receives general information email at Students seeking to register a complaint about an institution are required to submit the complaint in writing. Complaint processing as relates to maintenance of institutional approvals is described in 23 Illinois Administrative Rules Sections 1030.70 and 1030.80.


Indiana Commission on Proprietary Education


Iowa College Student Aid Commission


Kansas Board of Regents



Louisiana Board of Regents - For proprietary schools, the complaint procedure appears on the Board of Regents website. For the academic degree granting institutions, Louisiana relies on the Consumer Affairs Division of the Attorney General’s Office at 225-326-6200.


Maine Department of Education, Office of Higher Education Services - Complaints shall be addressed in writing to the Maine Department of Education, Office of Higher Education, Augusta, Maine, 04333, with specific facts and allegations and signed by the complainant. The school shall be notified of any complaints which are to be investigated. For more information call 207-624-6846.


Maryland Higher Education Commission - Individuals who wish to submit a complaint may use the following contact information: Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division, 200 St. Paul Place, Baltimore, MD 21202. Student Complaint Process [pdf]


Massachusetts Department of Higher Education


The Michigan Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs addresses complaints involving proprietary schools in Michigan. Complaints involving public university consumer protection violations may be directed to: Office of the Attorney General of the State of Michigan; Consumer Protection Division; P.O. Box 30213; Lansing, MI 48909-7713.


Minnesota Office of Higher Education



Missouri Department of Higher Education [pdf]


Montana University System 



Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education

New Hampshire

New Hampshire Department of Education, Division of Higher Education, Higher Education Commission

New Jersey

New Mexico

New Mexico Higher Education Department

New York

North Carolina

North Dakota

  • North Dakota State Board for Career and Technical Education - Currently complaints are filed with the North Dakota Department of Career and Technical Education (CTE). Please call 701-328-5570 for more information.
  • North Dakota University System - The North Dakota State Board of Higher Education has delegated to North Dakota University Systems (NDUS) college and university officials authority and responsibility to resolve student and other complaints. For more information please contact Tanya Spilovoy, D.Ed, Director of Distance Education and State Authorization, 1815 Schafer St., Ste. 202, Bismarck, ND 58501-1217 or email


  • Ohio Board of Regents - The agency does receive student complaints.Students are encouraged to try to resolve their issue through their institution’s formal grievance procedures.If the student’s issue is not resolved through this process, the agency may then contact the institution on the student’s behalf and request that institution work with the student to resolve the issue. If the grievance involves an issue that violates the agency’s standards for authorization, the agency would contact the institution to determine the severity of the issue and what agency action would be taken. Please call the Ohio Board of Regents at 614.387.1215 for more information.
  • Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools


  • Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education - Current and prospective student complaints are handled through the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE) Academic Affairs Office by reviewing the circumstances of the complaint and providing the individual with contact information for the most appropriate campus office with the authority to resolve the complaint. If the individual has exhausted the process for review and appeal at the institution and believes the complaint is unresolved, OSRHE staff requests permission to contact the institution on the student's behalf to identify any possible resolution. OSRHE staff remains in contact with the student to determine if the issue has been resolved or adequately addressed. Please call OSRHE at 405-225-9141 for more information.
  • Oklahoma Board of Private Schools - A form is available by request to the Oklahoma Board of Private Schools (OBPVS) staff, but is not required. Unless a safety or other issue requiring an in-person investigation is alleged, a Student complaint will be accepted and sent to the institution for a response that may then be forwarded to the complainant for further input. Please call OBPVS for more information at 405-528-3370.


  • Oregon Office of Degree Authorization - All complaints about schools under our regulatory jurisdiction or an exempt status approved by this office are handled by Office of Degree Authorization (ODA) staff. We accept written or email complaints. When a complaint is received, we first evaluate the information to substantiate its relevance to Oregon rules and statutes. If the complaint appears to have merit or indicate non-compliance on the part of the school, we contact the school to request information regarding the case. All correspondence is kept in the school’s file. We continue to mediate between the student and the school until it we receive an indication that the complaint is unfounded or resolved. For more information call 503-947-5977.
  • Oregon Department of Education - Private and Career Schools Office


Pennsylvania Department of Education, Division of Higher Education

Puerto Rico Council on Education

Puerto Rico Council on Education [Please call 787-641-7100 for complaint information.] 

Rhode Island

Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education

South Carolina

South Carolina Commission on Higher Education  [Complaint Form

South Dakota

South Dakota Secretary of State


Tennessee Higher Education Commission, Division of Postsecondary School Authorization 


Utah Division of Consumer Protection


Vermont State Board of Education, Vermont Department of Education 


Virginia State Council of Higher Education, Private & Out-of-State Postsecondary Education


  • Washington Student Achievement Council - Students may submit a formal complaint to the Washington Student Achievement Council, provided it is against an institution authorized by the Washington Student Achievement Council and is within one year of the last date of attendance. For more information, please contact the Washington Student Achievement Council at 360-753-7800.
  • Washington Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board

West Virginia

  • West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission 
  • West Virginia Council for Community & Technical College Education - For complaints, please contact the WV Council for Community and Technical College Education, 1018 Kanawha Blvd., E. Ste 700, Charleston, WV 25301 or call 304-558-0265. 


Wisconsin Educational Approval Board


Wyoming Department of Education

U.S. Territories

American Samoa

Board of Higher Education - No information available

Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands

Commissioner of Education - No information available

Federated States of Micronesia

Department of Education - No information available


Board of Regents - No information available

Republic of the Marshall Islands

Scholarship Grant and Loan Board - No information available

Republic of Palau

Bureau of Education - No information available

U.S.Virgin Islands

Department of Education - No information available

*Based upon the SHEEO (State Higher Education Executive Officers) “Compendium of (State Authorization) Laws and Regulatory Practices,” this summary was created with support from WCET’s (WICHE Cooperative for Educational Technologies) State Authorization Network. SHEEO and WCET collaborated in directing the work of NCHEMS (National Center for Higher Education Management Systems) in gathering, updating, and compiling the information.


page last updated 5/20/2015 8:02 AM